[Tfug] Hand scanner recommendation?

John Karns johnkarns at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 11:41:08 MST 2010

On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 11:48 AM, Bexley Hall <bexley401 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> You can even use a camera for text and fine line drawings if
> it will let you store TIFF's or "RAW" format (I've seen
> photos of schematics stored as JPEGs that were little more
> than fuzzy clouds)

That reflects my experiences with using a digital camera (Canon
Powershot, model 240, IIRC; 2005 vintage) for close up work - can be
tricky and a bit time consuming to get a decent shot.  Usually have to
use manual focus in macro mode.  Even then it's not particularly
straight-forward.

It seems puzzling that the market for hand image & text scanners has
dried up the way it has.  I remember seeing the magazines full of ads
for them back in the late '80's or so.

--
John Karns