[Tfug] AP choices`

Steve Franks bahamasfranks at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 09:17:57 MST 2010

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 3:42 PM, Bexley Hall <bexley401 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for suggestions as to a "good" (ideal?) access point
> to install above the ceiling (i.e., it must be able to run
> without "manual" intervention -- though I can probably
> cycle power easily).

I've been extremely happy with the Ubiquity products.  I've got a
nano2HP which was $80, POE so you only need the single cable (comes
with power injector) waterproof box, integrated antenna, and *1 watt*
output - covers my whole block from my garage out back where the DSL
comes in!  They make a non HP for a few bucks less without the amp in
it, if you're looking for something nearer to a WRT.  They also
advertise support for all the open-source firmware (openWRT, tomato,
etc) on most of their products, although I've yet to flash mine - the
mfr firmware works fine for me.

http://www.wirelessnetworkproducts.com/search.aspx?manufacturer=1146

Steve