[Tfug] IT'S COMING!!! :)

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 21:49:32 MST 2010

Well after doing all that research on vintage lappies for myself, the
machine that was I was supposed to get free fell through.  So I actually
*did* use that data and pulled the trigger on this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360290047600

I gave cash to a buddy who's a frequent Ebay flyer.

This is typical of a "leasing company special" except the company didn't
completely understand what they had.  They called it a 14" variant but if
you look up the sub-model (T60p 8741 C2U) you get detailed specs saying it's
a larger 15" variant with a 1680x1050 screen and the hotter T7400 CPU.  Also
has dual PCMCIA/Expresscard slots, which I want.  I also spent $15 on the
holder for a second hard disk that can replace the DVD drive, which to me is
much more useful than a DVD.  I'll take the 100gig existing drive, stick it
in there for now, put the 250 from my Dell in as the main drive and I'm off.

It even has the V5250 video which under the RadeonHD driver is treated the
same as the ATI X1700, a damned respectable card.

With tax and shipping this critter was under $360, which I think is a hell
of a deal.  If the hard disk is bad I won't cry, even if the memory is shot
I can pull the same RAM out of my Dell...and either is pretty unlikely.
Worst case, buying from a company I have a 30-day return policy and parts
for these are cheap and plentiful.

Yeah.  Me and this thing are gonna be good friends.

I'll try and bring it to the next meet, but...it may be a bit as this is
election season :).

Jim