[Tfug] TFUG gets to see this first - laptop buyer's guide, Linux specific

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Sun Aug 22 23:46:56 MST 2010

Yeah, short screens are a plague because people measure on the diagonal.  I
mean, a brand new system with a 15.6" screen (1366x768) has to be bettter
than something four years old and only 15.1" (1600x1200), right?

Grrrrr.

It's more than just the screen shape going on here though.  Build quality.
Ye Gods.  Example: spill liquid on the keyboard of an IBM T60/T60p/T61/T61p
series.  Internal channels divert it around the circuit boards (all of 'em)
and dump it out the bottom with zero damage.  Whoa.  Internal all-metal roll
cage.  Metal outer screen lid layer.  And so on.

These critters sold for $3k+ for a reason.

Jim