[Tfug] Using Tmobile data on a tethered cellphone in Lucid...

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Sun Aug 22 03:27:40 MST 2010

Just thought others might be interested:

For years now I've been paying out the nose for separate voice and data
devices under Verizon - EVDO Expresscard (KPC680 of late) and a decent
"semi-smart" phone.  The total cost was over $160 a month (ow).

I've now jumped to TMobile.  I did my research and scored a used
Sony-Ericsson TM506 phone - I'd been shopping EBay but was surprised to find
one for $60 at a pawn shop of all places).  This thing doesn't look like
much but it's known as a "tethering monster", esp. if you "debrand it" and
replace the TMobile OS/app code with Sony-Ericsson original stuff.

I also scored a USB data cable online for $5, and spent $20 on a 4gig flash
card of that weird "M2" format these take - at least the card came with a
USB adapter.

Here's the cool part: so far I have NOT succeeded in debranding (still
working on that) but even so, with tethering via USB in 3G areas (basically
all of Tucson, greater Phoenix and some other decent size towns) I'm seeing
about .80mbs download in speedtest.net and about half that up.  I think I'll
be able to boost that but it's still not bad - Verizon was about 1.2mbs best
case and often less, and WAY slower on transmit.  And in 3G areas (which is
shown right on the phone), I can be online with the phone yet still take an
incoming call - way cool.

Ubuntu Lucid and Network Manager recognized the phone over USB immediately,
no hacking needed, just select the new device and pick TMobile as the
provider.

And my costs drop to half - $80 gets me unlimited voice, talk and data.

When I connect the phone via USB, I've got it set to take any of three modes
picked on each connection: I can set it up so it's only charging the battery
off of USB, or it can go into hard disk storage mode giving me access to
both memory areas, or it can be in "phone mode" for use as a modem (and in
3G areas, still act as a standard cellphone for voice).

Yup.  This'll work...and supposedly there's even more speed on tap.

What else...oh yeah: TMobile has a free service whereby any pics or video I
take can be instantly uploaded to a personal site that TMobile hosts...damn
useful feature for a political activist since even if the phone is grabbed
afterwards, evidence isn't lost.  Overall the phone is reasonable - not good
if you're into a lot of text messaging but I'm not huge on that.

TMobile sells an updated version of this phone called the "Equinox".  It
*has* to be hacked at to do tethering at all (regardless of speed).

Jim