[Tfug] OT: shameless parts trafficking

Angus Scott-Fleming angussf at geoapps.com
Mon Aug 16 21:46:24 MST 2010

On 15 Aug 2010 at 20:44, Malcolm Schmerl  wrote:

> Really, I'm sure it's not true. Microsoft wants their dollar. My situation
> is an odd one. I'm rebuilding a Dell Dimension 3000 for someone, basically
> changing the motherboard, memory and processor, but not original Dell parts.
> The case does have a license on it. What to do?

You need to find someone with a Dell who had 64-bit Windows XP OEM and still
has the original media which you can copy.  You could then restore the OS from
the original media.  You could also download all the original drivers from the
Dell website, but since you're changing motherboard you will probably need
different drivers.  The Dell website doesn't offer replacement factory media
that I could find, but you might give them a call and see if you can order it
anyway.

    General Customer Service Questions: 1-800-456-3355 Mon-F 7am-7pm

I have Dell OEM XP Pro media, but it's 32-bit, not 64-bit.

If you still have the original Dell HDD, there might be a "restore" image on
the drive in a (possibly hidden) partition, or in D:\RECOVERY.  Search the Dell
forums at "Desktop - Dell Community"
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/default.aspx for other
people with similar needs.  See for example

   "how to restore dell dimension 3000 to factory settings -
   Microsoft OS Forum - Software & Operating Systems - Dell Community"
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19267286.aspx

    If you don't have the restore partition and can't fix it, the only thing
    you can do is find the CDs that should have been shipped with the computer
    and restore the system manually.  If you don't have the Dell Windows
    Reinstallation CD, you can ask for one here:  Dell Replacement Disks.

You may be able to order them yourself:
============= Included Stuff Follows =============
    Dell Customers can now request a set of backup discs containing the
    factory-installed operating system as well as the device drivers and
    utilities specific to your system.

        * Requests are limited to one (1) set of backup discs per system purchased.
    * The backup discs requested must match the operating system that was
    factory installed on the original order.

============= Included Stuff Ends =============
Seen here:
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd _form?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&redirect=1

You will need the Dell Service Tag, a 7-character code that should be on a
sticker on the back of your Dimension 3000, or the Express Service Code, a
numeric code that should be on the same sticker.

HTH

Angus

--
Angus Scott-Fleming