[Tfug] OT: shameless parts trafficking

Zack Williams zdwzdw at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 17:22:06 MST 2010

> In the future I would state that is what you are doing.  Then no one will assume you are violating copyright.
>
> I _think_ you can use any M$ O/S up to and including what the license on the box shows.

Depends on the exact wording of the license.  Some licenses include
"Downgrade rights" which let you run earlier versions - these are
usually volume and corporate licenses.  Normal boxed copies and OEM
versions generally don't include this.

Honestly, use of "unlicensed" versions of Windows is probably the
biggest obstacles to OSS market share - see the pie chart here:

http://www.osnews.com/story/21035/Ballmer_Linux_Bigger_Competitor_than_Apple

I'm all for restrictive, annoying DRM in proprietary products.  The
better it is at preventing unlicensed use, the more people will jump
ship away from it.

- Zack