[Tfug] Debugging X lockups?

Claude Rubinson rubinson at u.arizona.edu
Tue Apr 20 17:47:29 MST 2010

I'm having a pretty severe problem with X locking up on me.  It's
almost certainly something to do with the mouse.  Sometimes when I
click a button on the mouse, the cursor will turn to the "busy" cursor
and simply won't turn back.  Sometimes my whole X session will lock
up, but other times, it's simply that mouse button clicks are no
longer received.  Focus-follows-mouse still works, so I can keep
typing and I can switch VTs so that I can kill and restart X.

The frustrating thing is that nothing shows up in .xsession-errors.
Where else should I be looking?  I haven't yet been able to reliably
recreate the problem.

I'll probably start playing with the mouse drivers, but I hate just
blindly poking around.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Claude