[Tfug] Linux backup

Zack Williams zdwzdw at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 16:10:05 MST 2010

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 3:10 PM, Jim March <1.jim.march at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm using something called "Back In Time" under Ubuntu, which is just
> a GUI front end for rsync that also tries to give you a primitive
> version of the usability of Apple's "Time Machine".  The latter is far
> and away the best backup program ever, period, end of discussion.

Having seen Time Machine fail on a semi-regular basis, not back up
certain files correctly, and have issues with copying large binary
files, I'd have to disagree.   One of Apple's current fixes for a
corrupt Time Machine backup is to automatically wipe the the thing and
start over...

In certain situations, using rsync to a host that uses a filesystem
that has guarantees on file integrity and snapshots (such as ZFS) is a
better solution.

- Zack