[Tfug] Linux backup

Jeff Coy jcoy42 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 14:42:33 MST 2010

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 12:30 PM, christopher floess <skeptikos at gmail.com>wrote:

>> The real benefit of backuppc is that it just works, notifications to
>> different users for different machines, and the nightly pruning of matching
>> files.  Here at work I'm backing up about 30 Linux & various windows boxes
>> all onto one box and only really using around 400GB.  The biggest down side
>> I see is a lack of ACLs, but where I'm using it I either trust the users or
>> have to do it for them anyway.
>>
> Access Control Lists? That's a guess. Google didn't cough something up in
> the first five hits, but the nice thing about this list is that it's easy to
> throw things out there and watch the "learning curve" shrink as everyone
> throws out the usage options for everything that I felt would be too time
> consuming to learn.

Yes, Access Control Lists.  Basically, anyone who has access to the backuppc
interface has access to every file anyone has on backuppc.  It's not a huge
problem, but it would be nice if you could set things up so that normal
users could restore their own files (and not be able to restore payroll.xls
from the finance machine).