[Tfug] Linux backup

Jeff Coy jcoy42 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 11:56:37 MST 2010

What distribution are you using that backuppc doesn't work with?

I've been using it for quite a while on a cheap external box with nothing
but a RAID1 setup and have been very happy with it.  The only reason I
didn't suggest it here is it feels more like a backup system for a bunch of
boxes, not a single desktop user.

But you might want to consider just sticking Debian on an external box and
letting it run backuppc.  All you need is a network card & a fair sized hard
drive (preferably 2 mirrored, but a poor backup is better than no backup).

The real benefit of backuppc is that it just works, notifications to
different users for different machines, and the nightly pruning of matching
files.  Here at work I'm backing up about 30 Linux & various windows boxes
all onto one box and only really using around 400GB.  The biggest down side
I see is a lack of ACLs, but where I'm using it I either trust the users or
have to do it for them anyway.