[Tfug] Linux backup

christopher floess skeptikos at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 11:29:19 MST 2010

On 04/19/2010 08:12 PM, Matt Jacob wrote:
> On 4/19/10 10:50 AM, christopher floess wrote:
>> Yeah, but there is a learning curve there. Right now is just one of the
>> few times where I just want something quick and easy. I've recently
>
> rsync -avz -e ssh --delete --progress \
> /path/to/local/dir/ \
> you at yourbox:/path/to/remote/dir
>
> Learning curve: flattened. Set up SSH keys and add an entry to your
> crontab, and you're done.

Okay, fine, good point :)

But the problem is that I'm not sure how the backups work. If for
instance I backup files A, B, C in some directory, and then delete A and
B, and then do another backup, does A and B disappear from the backup as
well. I think I want version control actually. Something along the lines
of git, where removing a file doesn't mean it's gone for good, it just
means that it's gone from the current snapshot.

Ugh, I should have known I'd get responses like yours and Claude's. I
guess maybe I should have known what I wanted before I posted :)

Thanks though. I do appreciate the feedback.

-- Chris