[Tfug] backups

christopher floess skeptikos at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 13:08:48 MST 2010

What are you linux desktop users using for backups? I was using flyback
for a while, but it recently got sort of crappy, so I'm looking for
something new.

To expand on crappy, I mean it was always a little crappy in terms of
the interface being unintuitive, but I managed to get through that, and
at least it worked. Now the interface has changed, and I just don't have
enough of an idea of what's going on while it runs.

So for instance, I started a backup, but because the interface didn't
give good feedback, I thought that the backup was done at one point.
Trying to figure out if it worked, I decided to click on "backup" again,
expecting it to check and realize that the backup was current and
briefly finish. Unfortunately, I found out that the first one hadn't
finished, and now the second one was running. Was the second one simply
clobbering the files of the first one, or was it creating a mess that
would leave me stranded in the event of a crash?

I don't know. So I'm looking for something new. I'd like to have
something I don't have to think about too much, i.e. plug in external
drive, fire up application, configure directories that I'd like to back
up, click back up, then have a clear understanding of what's happening
during the process. Even a grayed out screen that doesn't let me click
"backup" again would be enough.

Thanks in advance -- chris