[Tfug] windows to linux

Linux Media linuxmedia2 at aim.com
Tue Sep 29 16:22:43 MST 2009

Liz_Ravenwood at beaerospace.com wrote:
 > sounds like a plan.  I think what I'll do is install
 > v 10 Fedora Redhat on my machine at home where there
 > is network connectivity.  ( have docs on redhat)
 >
 > and then when I get all the dependencies etc. to work
 > then I'll make the environment on my standalone the same.

Just in case you're still confused about the dependency thing... There's
no need to even think about it. Here's a somewhat simplified (but fairly
accurate) account of how easy it should be...

1) Burn the ISO (Fedora-10-i386-netinst.iso) file to CD

2) Put the CD in and turn on the machine.

3) Follow the Install instructions

4) It should just be a matter of a series of clicks to confirm that you
want to proceed with each step. Just choose the default settings if
you're unsure about something.

No need to think or worry about 'dependencies' or anything. It's
automated and unless there's some unusual glitch, you should easily end
up with a complete Fedora/Linux system.

Once installed, Fedora has a system of installing things in which they
take care of the dependencies for you.

As far as this Fedora install goes, don't read any Redhat stuff. It will
just confuse the issue. Just follow the install instructions (a series
of clicks really). 'Red Hat' encompasses a wide range of software and
such things. Fedora is Fedora and everything you need you have in the
Install CD.

 From there, I and others can help you make other decisions on how to
accomplish what you want with your new system in the best, quickest way
possible. You can eliminate the 'hit or miss' that takes up so much
time, and, at the same time learn how to use the system.

Are you going to the tfug meeting on Thursday? If you are, then I can
let you know if I will be there and can show you the basics of running
Fedora.

If you're not successful with installing Fedora with the 'net install',
then maybe I can show up at the meeting with the full DVD and we can do
an install right there. But you have to let me know so I can look at my
schedule and prepare the DVD in time. But try the 'net install' first.

 > That way, I can play Arduino at home and at work.

Once you have a running Fedora system, I can help you understand the
best and easiest way to install Arduino. Right now it sounds like you're
doing what newbies do... you're trying 'hit or miss' and making false
assumptions that waste your time.