[Tfug] OT: Dumping Comcast TV. Dish or Direct?

Tom Rini trini at kernel.crashing.org
Mon Sep 28 16:21:12 MST 2009

On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 04:50:00PM -0700, Angus Scott-Fleming wrote:

> I've had it with crappy Comcast service, so we're dumping their cable TV
> service.  I'm seeking feedback from people here regarding the alternatives,
> which are Dish Network and Direct TV.  Anybody here have any comments regarding
> good or bad customer-service experiences with either?

We've got DirecTV and my biggest gripe is that the reciever box sucks.
Sending channel numbers with the remote is hit or miss or 5sec delay.
And you can't set a reminder in the guide.  Oh, and the only 50
recurring recording options thing sucks too (but does force you to clean
out canceled shows).

I'd repeat what someone else said, price / channel shop, and seriously
check into Hulu/etc, depending on what you watch.

That said, I'm happier with DTV than I was with Cox, at least 95% of the
time and their guide stuff is, overall, better than Cox I think (and
it's still probably no MythTV/TiVo/Boxee).  Never had Comcast.

If you do pick directv (and don't otherwise have a referal you want to
use), let me know off-list :)

--
Tom Rini