[Tfug] OT: Sim (sp?) card hacking

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 28 12:46:02 MST 2009

Hi,

My BinL has been fishing in someone else's pond  :<
My sister has forwarded the sim card from his old phone
(blackberry) to me in the hope that I might find
something "interesting" on it.

Unfortunately, I am absolutely *clueless* about all
things cellular (I don't *answer* my phone let alone carry
one *with* me!).

Am I correct in assuming that these are just generic
"memory cards"?  Perhaps a serial interface to reduce
pin count and keep package size small/inexpensive?

As such, there is probably little hope of getting anything
of interest off the card without the original phone in
which it was installed (or at least the same *model* phone)?
I.e., I would think it comparable to picking up an arbitrary
floppy disk written on some particular piece of hardware
and trying to read it on some *other* piece of hardware
without knowledge of how the file system was structured, etc.

(assuming the data isn't *encrypted* as well!)

<frown>

Any pointers as to how I can proceed or should I just tell
her to subpoena his phone records?

Thanks!
--don