[Tfug] 32bit os on 64 bit system

Paul Lemmons paul at lemmons.name
Sat Sep 26 08:46:59 MST 2009

christopher floess wrote:
> Am I doing myself a huge disservice by running 32 bit linux on a 64
> bit system. I've suddenly got a sneaking suspicion that I have a
> 64-bit thinkpad t61. Should I switch?
>
> -- Chris
Absolutely not. I have tried them both and I find *absolutely* no
advantage to moving to 64 bit and numerous disadvantages. The only
consideration would be if your computer has more than 4GB or more
memory. If you want to access all of it you will need to install either
the "server" kernel or the new "pae" kernel. I am running the "pae"
kernel on my T61 and it sees all of my memory and works well.