[Tfug] stracing an .odt export to .pdf

Charles R. Kiss charles at kissbrothers.com
Fri Sep 25 16:12:27 MST 2009

On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 13:00:04 -0400, <tfug-request at tfug.org> wrote:

> Try Adobe Reader or Evince. It may be that OO.o is trying to write
> newer versions of PDF than your install of ghostview can handle.

Excuse me, my ghostview can handle it, got it? Okay?? jk.

Well, anyway, same errors with Evince. Couldn't try Adobe because they don't have a debian 64bit version of Reader and I don't feel like I need the chroot thing just for it, even though it is pretty nice.

>> Is there a way I can do an strace on a .odt to .pdf export?

> Well yes, but you're going to be tracing an awful lot of bloat to catch something it probably thinks it's doing correctly...

If I could do an strace on the export process I would pipe it to a file and grep -i things like "trutype/" and "Bitstream Vera", plus or minus ttf- and /, and what not.  I have a feeling it's looking for a BitStream font/directory that doesn't exist... because at one time I half installed a Bitstream trutype font, and the DejaVu (I think). AND once I got rid of (mv,d) the DejaVu font directory (this last week), the crazy fonts I was getting no longer appeared, but instead turned into the boxes, which I assume is the null return outcome.

But I can't find a Bitstream font directory and I recall it, and the DejaVU, being the default at one time for something, maybe gimp or OOo, of maybe even the OOo formula boxes(!), which is why I made the attempt to install it, etc.  I suppose I could have changed the default.

Nevertheless, I think once the pdf is made by OOo it is pretty much like a jpeg and all viewers would pretty much display it equally; at least that has been my experience.

Thanks again,

Charles

--

This message and any attachments may contain information that is privileged or confidential, and is intended solely for the addressee.  If you received this message in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete the message and any attachments.  Thank you.