[Tfug] windows to linux

Matthew Patenaude mnglfiddle at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 19:23:34 MST 2009

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 9:33 AM, <earljviolet at deserthowler.com> wrote:

> Hi, Liz,
>
> I've been following your adventures and I have a few observations and
> questions.
>
> I think you mentioned Red Hat.  A while ago I tried to install Centos and
> got the same message.  If I remember correctly, the Live CD ran great but
> when I went to install it said there was no disk.  Unless you need Red Hat
> you might want to try something else.
>
> I don't think you gave specs on the computer but with the recent desk-top
> included distros you probably want a PIII 866 MHz with 384 MB memory
> minimum (this is my experience with Ubuntu, Fedora, and Mandirva).
>
> If you don't care about XP any respectable distro will give you
> installation option of "take the whole disk" and do it with no problem.
> Heck, try it, you have nothing to lose.  Start installing and see where it
> takes you.
>
> A live CD should let you know what hardware you have will and won't work.
>
> Wet cat is undefined variable.
>
> Earl

Also, no one has mentioned the graphical programs available. I would assume
others have this as well, but the Ubuntu live CD has gparted, which will
allow you to graphically see what you are doing. I don't know what kind of
thing you yourself are looking for...

Also, you could use the Ubuntu live CD install routine to just reformat and
partition your drive and then not do the actual install, if you want to do
something other than Ubuntu.

Matthew