[Tfug] OT: font utility

Rich r-lists at studiosprocket.com
Tue Sep 22 07:39:50 MST 2009

Best tool I've used is Font Book in Mac OS X. Surprise surprise.

Yes, you have to own all those fonts and manually categorize them,
but typography is an art, not a science.

Let's think about why it hasn't been done (or if it has, why it's not
well known). Bad typographers will always use crappy fonts. Such a
tool would turn the tables and end up being used by crappy foundries
to recommend "alternatives" to classics such as Helvetica and
Garamond. Line height is often changed, kerning is usually left
unconfigured, or it's mangled. That is, unless it comes from a
typographic virtuoso, in which case you'll know already, or be able
to guess which fonts they're using.

In short, the payoff is small compared to the effort of writing an
effective glyph-matching tool: it doesn't improve the situation, and
it doesn't change the fact that you'll still have to rummage through
a bunch of likely alternatives.

And then there's the simple fact that people don't look at how well
the fonts kern -- they just read the words and hand over their credit
card.

So given all that, body type is easy: just pick a similar weight of
sans or serif font, and substitute away. Even substitution of display
fonts is simpler than it first appears: only a typographer will
notice if you're using (expensive) Curlz instead of (cheap) Girls Are
Weird. So use the cheap one: no tool required.

Rich.