[Tfug] OT: cabling

erich erich1 at copper.net
Mon Sep 21 23:05:29 MST 2009

In my case,

          The video and audio are run on the local machine, and are
therefore
exempt from high data rate limitations, The local machine also acts as a
workstation that connects to an internet server with office applications
& gimp thru a LAN drop.

           My workshop has a machine that focuses on dialing phone #'s and
financial bookkeeping and ftp also thru the LAN drop.

            It is wrong to have a machine that represents a central
server for
everything. If a given computer is focused on a particular set of tasks,
it becomes easier to configure.

            Then there is the engineering project station in my
workshop, also
on the LAN. I currently have a machine there that's going to be built
into a home theater PC. This will have LIRC, and be connected by
VGA to a wide screen. Once again we will avoid real-time attempts
to input video/audio from the LAN. It is possible to do this, but it
is an engineering headache.

Erich