[Tfug] Source for notebook batteries?

John Karns johnkarns at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 18:56:14 MST 2009

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 2:30 PM, Claude Rubinson <rubinson at u.arizona.edu> wrote:
> The battery for my Thinkpad is barely holding a charge anymore, so I'm
> looking at buying a new one.  (Tried reconditioning but without luck.)
> Can anyone recommend a reliable source?  I'd like to avoid paying the
> IBM premium, but online vendors of notebook batteries all seem pretty
> sketchy.

I bought one of the high capacity batteries for my T42 from an eBay
seller (1) back in Jan '08 and have had pretty good luck with it.  I
have to use it fairly often when I can't get access to a power outlet,
and it still easily goes 2 hrs, with 40%+ in reserve (if the charge
meter is to be believed) even at almost 2 old.

However I rarely let it fully discharge.  I tried that once when it
was new, and couldn't get it to take a charge for sometime after that.

1 - They sell substantially less there than buying one through some of
the other channels.  I paid approx $50 vs $120 - $180 others were
selling them for.

--
John