[Tfug] Source for notebook batteries?

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 15:15:51 MST 2009

OK, one more thing.

Several of the batteries at the "batteryjunction" website list:

>>With integrated PCB Protection!<<

...in red.

I have to strongly recommend going with those over anything else.
What they mean is, there's a secondary charge controller inside each
cell.

A very, very cool feature.

One, it means that a slight mis-match between the original charge
controller and these new cells isn't going to to burn you.

Two, it means that if one cell experiences thermal runaway, any
overvoltage it sends to neighboring cells will be blocked by each
cell's onboard charge controller.  You might get a one-cell runaway
but not the whole pack.

SAFETY CONSIDERATION:

On pondering this, I'm not sure I'd want to leave a "hacked battery"
like this charging while I'm either not around or asleep.  I would
have no problem charging it while I'm using it, or using it on battery
power, but I wouldn't leave it plugged into the wall and go to bed.
I'd unplug it first.

This is probably paranoia talking but Li-Ion batteries are no joke.