[Tfug] OT: cabling

Zack Williams zdwzdw at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 15:08:52 MST 2009

> The phone design allows a passthrough to a PC, etc.
> Likewise, the media client also supports a passthrough
> (to a phone which could then pass through to a computer, etc.).

That's basically just a switch in the device, which is OK until you
want to transfer at gigabit speeds, as the phones are probably only
have a 100mbit/s switch.    Also adds another point of failure.

> And, on top of all that, there are already several drops in
> each room (different locations to accommodate locating phone, TV, etc
> in different spots as you rearrange furniture, etc.).  I.e.,
> there are 27 drops in this place (yet only 3 bedrooms  :> )

Ah, I was assuming one drop/room, thus the need for multiple cables
per drop.  If you already have that many per room, no need for
multiple drops + multiple cables.

> I put a 16 port switch in my office (I think there are
> 2 free ports on it currently  :-/ ) but that is the only
> place I really *expect* to find lots of network nodes in
> a small area (three different printers, four servers, a
> pair of PC's, etc.).  And, given the high equipment density,
> I figure it is "acceptible" to deal with cables running
> around the periphery of the room along the floor.

Sounds like you already have it worked out there.

One other note - for home use the 16 port SMC GS16 is fanless, if
anyone is looking for a rackmountable unmanaged silent switch with an
internal power supply.  You can turn the rack ears on their side and
wall mount it easily too.

I've yet to find a silent/fanless managed switch with a decent (>16)
number of ports - anyone know of one?

- Zack