[Tfug] why not wicd

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 13:56:40 MST 2009

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 1:36 PM, erich <erich1 at copper.net> wrote:
> OK,
>             I'll check. What's the package name I  should be looking for"
>  "network manager"/"NM"/"NM8", or something else ?
>

>                      Erich

On my Karmic system, my package manager says I have:

network-manager

0.8~a~git.20090911t130220.4c77fa0-0ubuntu6

Karmic has gotten some updated to NM since I first started using it at
alpha 4 but nothing significant.

Network Manager usually comes with a given distro, at a given version
level.  It *might* be possible to manually splice in a later NM such
as 8 into an older rev distro like, say, Fedora 10 (which usually
comes with NM7.0-something.

Thing is, NM8 isn't quite officially released yet...so you can't (yet)
download source tarballs at:

http://projects.gnome.org/NetworkManager/

Once you can, and it looks like no more than a week or two tops,
you'll at least have a chance at splicing it into something else.
Ubuntu's previous releases (possibly including Hardy) should also have
"backports" available, maybe.

There's likely a source for the pre-release NM8 Karmic is using, but I
don't know where that would be.  GIT maybe?

For right now, if you want to quickly see if NM8 will solve your
problem, download the Ubuntu Karmic Alpha6 LiveCD image, boot off of
that, try it out with your cellmodem.

http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/karmic/alpha6