[Tfug] I'm using ~2GB of swap space that doesn't exist.

John Gruenenfelder johng at as.arizona.edu
Wed Sep 16 10:47:35 MST 2009

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 12:40:03PM -0700, Bexley Hall wrote:
>> PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU
>> 20   0 1939m 1.4g 1.4g S 10.0 11.9   1:31.98 vmware-vmx
>
>{grrrr... can't easily reformat this  :< ]
>
>> I have no swap space, yet, vmware-vmx is using 1939MB of it.
>
>The total image (TEXT+DATA) is 1939M.  Pull 11G of RAM out of your box
>and watch how the numbers change  :>

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've always taken the VIRT value to mean the
amount of address space allocated to a process by the kernel/MMU.  On a 1GB
system, you could allocate 3GB of memory and you'd see the VIRT value
skyrocket, but until you actually try to use that memory, it's not really
connected to any physical memory.

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.
Try Weasel Reader for PalmOS  --  http://weaselreader.org