[Tfug] black screen

Linux Media linuxmedia2 at aim.com
Mon Sep 14 12:51:00 MST 2009

Ray Reeves wrote:
 > I appreciate your insight. I was impressed with the install, it didn't
 > even blink at my video issues that I had with Ubuntu 9.04. It

I'm not saying that I've never had an issue with installing Fedora. But
I certainly don't ever recall having one. It's usually a rock solid
install (regardless if it's the newest and most bleeding edge).

 > automatically went after the updates, 395 of them, and installed all.
 > It is different updating because it seemed that it would download one
 > then there was a pause like it was installing the individual package.

The way I understand that it works is that it downloads each package and
saves it to a temporary location on your harddrive.  then when all
packages are downloaded, it checks that they are intact. If that passes,
then it proceeds to install each one from that temporary location on
your Harddrive.

As a "heads up" to anyone interested in installing Fedora... Do the "Net
  Install". It is so much faster in so many ways...

1) The pre-packaged DVD has old packages

2) You download a huge DVD ISO

3) You burn a huge DVD ISO

4) You install tons of old packages from the DVD

5) You then do 'yum update' to replace all those old packages

With the "Net Install", you have a small CD ISO, it goes and gets
updated packages and you're done. Many, many steps are circumvented in
the process. There is *no* 'yum update' with the Net Install that
replaces tons of packages that you already installed.

 > Also if I downloaded a rpm file the package manager automatically pops
 > up and offers to install. Like that.

If you're referring to a package you find on the internet through the
browser, I never tried installing in that manner. I have to wonder if
that package would be in cross-purposes with the packages in the
Repository. What I mean is that the repository keep track of all
packages that you installed from it (the Repository) and I wonder if
"outside packages" can confuse the way the Repository does it's business.

Maybe not though, since it's the Package Manager that is assisting you
in installing the "outside package".

I know they say to be careful when you add new repositories that aren't
"Fedora Repositories" for that same reason (both Repositories offering
simular packages, but each with different versions and 'update info').

I don't know if you're familiar with YUM. But to see if the Fedora
Repositories offer a package you're hoping to install, you can do...

yum info *PartialPackageName*

(use the '*' wildcards in above example)

Then from the list, you can do...

yum install <PackageName>

 > I don't like the dialog that comes up making you sign in again every
 > time you leave it for a while. I would like to defeat that!!

I'm not sure what you're referring to with this.

Rocco