[Tfug] Partially OT: movie premier Wed. night on the Pima election fight...

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 21:30:42 MST 2009

I say "partially" because the fight for fair elections anywhere
includes trying to open-source the data coming out the closed-source
systems first, then trying to open the process itself, then (hardest
fight, still in progress) try and open the program code.

Between 2006 and present, yet again still in progress, a bunch of
people in Pima County have tried to improve the local election
process.  A lot of it got filmed, turned into a documentary being
shown Wednesday night at 7:00pm at the Loft on Speedway.

I was "lead geek" in the process and am in there pretty deep :).

But that isn't why you want to see it.  You should want to see how
your vote is counted - or in too many ways around here, miscounted.

There'll be a panel discussion and Q&A after involving the key
players, myself included.  There's also Mickey Dunahoe, retired senior
programmer with the NSA(!), attorney Bill Risner and gonzo
activist/old hippie and my best buddy John Brakey.

It's eight bucks unless you're a Loft member ($2 off).  See these
links for more details:

http://www.loftcinema.com/specialevents

http://www.fatallyflawedthemovie.com/

Hope some of y'all can make it :).