[Tfug] Wifi non-functional with Ubuntu 8.04

John Karns johnkarns at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 16:45:01 MST 2009

Rather than futz with an upgrade, I thought I'd try installing from
scratch using an iso image of 8.04 I had.  I thought I'd just upgrade
from that, but accroding to the system log, the driver for the Atheros
card seems to be falling short:

ath0: Device is fully-supported using driver 'ath_pci'.
ath0: driver does not support SSID scans (scan_capa 0x00).
now managing wireless (802.11) device 'ath0'.
deactivating device ath0.

The same thing is happening when I try a USB dongle which uses the
Zydos driver.  I don't remember having this problem after I installed
6.10 on this machine.

Q) Anyone had this problem? (and have a work-around?)

I piddled with some of the iw* utilities and was able to see the SSID
of the AP in the info returned from iwlist, but the (sadly lacking --
note to self: hereafter DL the KDE version iso's) Gnome network menu
items don't seem to lead to getting a connection up and running.

Q) Am I better off going back to the 7.10 install I had and trying to upgrade?

One reason I decided not to go that route was that after upgrading
from 6.10 -> 7.04 -> 7.10 was that something got buggered and I was
faced with what resembled DNS time-outs on about 50% of the sites I
would try accessing.

Thanks,

--
John