[Tfug] black screen

earljviolet at deserthowler.com earljviolet at deserthowler.com
Fri Sep 11 23:29:43 MST 2009

On Fri, September 11, 2009 11:09 pm, Ray Reeves wrote:
> AAAARRGGG.
>
> Installed Ubuntu 9.04 on a Dell Inspiron 1100 and all was well. Did a
> update and it boots into the system ok but the screen is black. I booted
> into a terminal and deleted compiz and compiz core. No good.
>
> Booted into the recovery os, fixed broken packages, xterm etc to no avail.
>
> Could use some ideas, I really don't want to use XP.........
     I've been playing with Ubuntu since 4.10 and I my experience is
Ubuntu is somewhat of a crapshoot.  One thing I've learned is if you
want to be on the bleeding edge, expect blood.  I had one Dell that
would load 6.06 but not 6.10.
     I've installed or attempted to install Ubuntu on several Dells with
varying results for the past year.  9.04 seems to be a video disaster
in some cases.
     Is there any reason you feel you need 9.04 instead of something more
stable like 8.04?
     Earl