[Tfug] Hackintosh

Bowie J. Poag bpoag at comcast.net
Mon Sep 7 11:48:45 MST 2009

I recall it required setting the hardware profile to Windows 2000, but,
no, everything worked just fine. That's actually how I first got into
futzing around with OS X, was with a VMWare image about a year ago. Was
nice to run it under the hood in Linux, and connect to it remotely.

The only problem in the world with OS X is public perception. Macs are
considered effeminite machines for lightweight users... This may have
been true in the early days of the platform, pre OS X, but it isnt now.
OS X is simply free Unix done right, by someone. Finally.

I've said it before, and i'll say it again. We're in a post-Linux era.
There is no longer any need to indulge in Linux development, on any
level. Any work done along those lines is self-flagellation.. OS X
represents what Linux would have been had decisions on important facets
of the platform like the desktop NOT been made by a 10-year-long
comittee full of thousands of people who can't understand a normal user
experienece. What they did was nice, and generous, and noble, but its
pointless to continue with it. X deserves to die. As someone who's
written a number of apps for X over the years, I can tell you for a fact
that X is a terrible foundation for modern applications.

What caused Linux to fail was a lack of focus on end-user experience.
It'll always be a nice commodity Unix server, but as a desktop, it's
over. It failed for a number of reasons:

0) Democratization of the development process. The simple fact is, most
people, let alone programmers, wouldn't know good interface design if it
crawled up their ass and opened up a Wal-Mart. Instead, it's been
design-by-committee, rather than design and leadership provided by a
small group who know what they're doing and are qualified to lead.

1) Replication of effort. If the leadership of GNOME and KDE actually
cared, one would have greed to cease development, or they would have
agreed to merge. A singular development platform would have rocketed
commercial app development forward. Instead, mainstream commercial app
development is Linux exists as more of a charity case than anything.

2) Lack of willingness to try something new. For the past 10 years,
rather than give Linux its own face, the Linux desktop community has
been absolutely obsessed with recreating the old. Around 2000, both
efforts ceased to be interested in developing new ideas, or giving Linux
its own face. They became concerned with the never-ending task of making
ugly flea-market knockoffs of other platforms. Net result: Linux desktop
marketshare has hovered around 1%. Right up there with OS/2 and Amiga.
It's pathetic.

Cheers,
Bowie