[Tfug] LXDE under Ubuntu Karmic

Linux Media linuxmedia2 at aim.com
Sun Sep 6 14:00:20 MST 2009

>>> for damnsure I ain't the only one :).
>>> Jim, I run Ubuntu 8.04 but use FVWM as a Window Manager.  It's light,
>>> small, and can be customized as much as you would like.
>>>
>>> Earl

>> Yeah, I was going to mention FVWM but it's been so many years since I
>> ran it that I wasn't even sure it was still available/maintained/whatever.
>>
>> I remember being able to strip it down to just a mesh background. No
>> icons, widgets or whatever. Just a mesh background. And it uses just one
>> config file that lets you configure every aspect of the desktop. I chose
>> to run Konqueror (KDE File Manager) at the time, but I'm sure you can
>> run other file managers in FVWM.
>>
>> The thing boots up in seconds, even when fully configured.
>>
>> Rocco

> It's still alive and well and maintained.  There's a support site with
> several user configurations.  Questions answered.
>
> You remember it correctly.  I run it with my Ubuntu install and with
> Debian on Sparc and i386.  It's still fast and clean or you can add as
> much crap as you want.  One file configures all.
>
> No complaints about the interface; build it and maintain it.
>
> Earl

Nice. thanks for the information.

I went to the home page and it seems very active. I'm glad to see this
because even to this day when someone mentions "lightweight Window
Managers" my mind always goes to FVWM and my experiences with it.

I finally got up... stretched... cracked my knuckles and did the
laborious "yum list fvwm" command in my Fedora Box. It's there, and has
a very up to date version.

If I decide to go with a lightweight Window Manager again, FVWM is
definitely  the one I will go with.

Rocco