[Tfug] LXDE under Ubuntu Karmic

Linux Media linuxmedia2 at aim.com
Sat Sep 5 12:16:37 MST 2009

earljviolet at deserthowler.com wrote:
> Wed Sep 2 04:33:52 CDT 2009  Jim March wrote:
>>> I'm about at the point where I'm fed up to here with Gnome.  I know
> for damnsure I ain't the only one :).

> Jim, I run Ubuntu 8.04 but use FVWM as a Window Manager.  It's light,
> small, and can be customized as much as you would like.
>
> Earl

Yeah, I was going to mention FVWM but it's been so many years since I
ran it that I wasn't even sure it was still available/maintained/whatever.

I remember being able to strip it down to just a mesh background. No
icons, widgets or whatever. Just a mesh background. And it uses just one
config file that lets you configure every aspect of the desktop. I chose
to run Konqueror (KDE File Manager) at the time, but I'm sure you can
run other file managers in FVWM.

The thing boots up in seconds, even when fully configured.

Rocco