[Tfug] iPods

Matthew Patenaude mnglfiddle at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 07:16:59 MST 2009

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 10:08 PM, Matthew Patenaude <mnglfiddle at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 6:55 PM, Nathan England <nathan at paysonlinux.org>wrote:
>

>> Sorry to kick a dead horse, but did someone mention that only a certain
>> iPod Touch would work with skype? 2nd Generation or something? If I pick
>> up a cheap first gen will it work? I only have about 2.5 GB of audio so
>> even a small device is okay with me. I'm not real picky, but I'd really
>> like to have some skype access...
>>

> Yeah, the iPod Touch 2nd generation, has the mic connectivity through the
> regular headphone jack for the 3G iPhone earbuds that have the in-line mic.
> The first generation Touch requires a different mic set up through plugging
> the mic into the usb/recharger connection.
>
> Matthew
>
> Sorry, forgot to finish...

As the 3.0 OS will install on the first generation Touch, you might be able
to install Skype. The question is, can you plug those 3rd party mics into
the base plug-in, and then plug ear phones into the regular headphone jack
in order to use the mic and hear the return conversation at the same time...
I just don't know if that is possible.

The 2nd generation does Skype beautifully.

The 3rd party mics are themselves fairly pricey sometimes, so check to see
how much they cost and add that to the cost of a used 1st gen Touch, *after*
you get confirmation that you can even do Skype that way.