[Tfug] suspend to ram question

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 25 11:35:46 MST 2009

Hi Chris,

> > What is more insidious is the connection between your battery
> > and the laptop itself.  Some can be quite flakey.  E.g., some
> > older Sony models dangle the battery pack off the back end
> > of the laptop and often lose integrity in one of the two
> > catches/latches responsible for holding the battery onto the
> > laptop.  If the laptop becomes *electrically* disconnected
> > (i.e., it could still be MECHANICALLY connected but the
> > electrical connection might be compromised in transit) for
> > "long enough", the machine's state could be corrupted.
>
> hmm, I wonder if my lenovo t61 is susceptible to this? I wouldn't go
> so far as to say that the battery "dangles" out of the back, but it
> does stick out of the back – I have one of those lenovo extended
> batteries (9 cell, I believe).

I think you would be able to see this possibility.  E.g.,
the Sony's (Sonies?  :> ) that I have seen have been very
small/lightweight machines (e.g., neither a floppy nor a
CD/DVD within the laptop itself) and the battery was a
large portion of the machines size and mass. IIRC, there
were two "catches" (latches?) that held the battery in
place.  One of them would be unreliable so that moving the
laptop (even on a desktop) would visibly show a gap between the
battery and the laptop itself on that one "side".  Never
enough for the battery to *fall* off but you KNOW it wasn't
supposed to seperate like that.

<shrug>

If your laptop feels "sturdy", then assume that it is.
I.e., if you haven't had any problems with the laptop
mysteriously crashing (when on battery) while you use it
normally (which usually involves some amount of shifting
positions), then you probably have nothing to worry about.