[Tfug] Performance issues with Virtualbox 3.x - options?

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 12:39:16 MST 2009

Folks,

Virtualbox 3.x series is getting seriously slow on me.  I'm about
ready to look around for an alternative.

I'm running Ubuntu Karmic 64bit, 2gigs RAM, low-grade Intel dual core.
 My guest OS is WinXP.  I just found out my CPU (Intel T2370) lacks VT
hardware virt support so that's likely an issue.

Does anybody have a good guess as to which virtualization system might
be faster than Virtualbox?  Note that I could really use USB
passthrough and shared directories of some sort between the host and
guest OSes.  Is a KVM/QEMU combination possible?

If I can get the money together, $100 could drop a hotter CPU in this
thing that does have hardware virt support.

Thoughts?

Jim