[Tfug] t60 motherboard..

JD Rogers rogersjd at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 17:27:37 MST 2009

>> Well, I finally killed it. I
>> apparently doused my t60 and it only
>
> To be clear:  you spilled something on/in it?
> Have you let it dry out *thoroughly*?
> are you sure your problem is MB and not just the
> *keyboard*, etc?  (i.e. try an external keyboard)

Ya, I actually consider myself something of an expert in this now. I
poured a solid 12 oz of coffee through the keyboard about a year ago.
I immediately pulled the cord and battery, took all the insides out
and dried/cleaned them, waited a day, fired it up and had not a single
problem.

However, this time was different. I was traveling and had it on the
floor of the room I was staying in. It was on, but suspended to ram
when I went to sleep, and strangely off when I woke up. When I picked
it up, water oozed out from various points. I still had high hopes and
have been drying for a week. I even when so far as to *warm* up the
oven, let it cool to about 120/130 degrees and put the frame and MB in
as it slowly cooled to room temp over night, but it still twitches
when I turn it on. No POST, no bios of any kind. It cycles the fan and
various leds once and then sits there making a sort of faint high
pitched wine. I have removed ram, disk, and pretty much everything
else, so it's either the MB or the actual CPU, but I doubt that.

I'm annoyed, because I think I could have saved it if I had known it
happened right away.

I guess I can add it to the list of things that went wrong on the
trip:  shuttle to the wrong rental car company, simultaneous dying of
batteries on the phone and laptop during the last mile of navigation
to the destination, and hit-and-run smashed rental car the morning I
was returning to the airport. And now a dead laptop.  But aside from
that, it was a fantastic trip. :-)