[Tfug] FTP server with proftpd - HELP, IT'S POSSESSED!!!

Linux Media linuxmedia2 at aim.com
Sat Oct 3 11:09:20 MST 2009

<CUT>
> Oh, and naturally the vendor wanted $500 for software that "automated"
> the process of making the scanned PDFs available to Windows
> workstations.  Screw that...just had to sudo apt-get the right stuff
> at the server for free, configure it, I explained roughly what I'd
> just done to grab free software and set up a solution, they're beyond
> merely "happy".
>
> Jim

This is *exactly* what originally attracted me to Linux. I would go to
Linux User Meetings and hear stories of how someone needed to do some
kind of job that would require a bunch of software and expense, but the
person put together some free software and there would be a dedicated
box in the corner doing some task.

Honestly, I can't think of anything any of the Windows people I know are
doing that I'm not doing on my Fedora Box. In fact I'm doing much more
because I run an "Audio Distribution" "on top" of Fedora that modifies
my Fedora System to to address the particular issues that are necessary
for Audio/Music related work.

The Audio/Music set-up and software I run replaces probably thousands of
dollars of software. But that's not the only reason for going with
Linux. It's being able to put together whatever software I want, in the
way I want. And there's no 'lock-in' with having to upgrade to some
companies software updates or whatever. Nor is there any proprietary
file formats or approaches to deal with. In fact the Audio Community
that puts together this "Audio Distribution" make sure they all write
their software with compatibility in mind. And the community has lived
up to it's ideal.

I've never run Windows. I'm not saying that to be a Windows Basher. I'm
saying it because I've never needed to.

Rocco