[Tfug] FTP server with proftpd - HELP, IT'S POSSESSED!!!

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 15:13:25 MST 2009

Welll...sorta.

OK, here's the deal.  I have proftpd installed and working, with the
gproftp front end under Ubuntu Hardy.  I can log in as a client and
upload/download to it; at the GUI server console I've listed an upload
location that's within the home directory (fairly far down, along the
lines of:

/home/username/Desktop/junk/somemorejunk

That directory is set up as read/write by everybody.

I have a nice proper static IP addy at that Hardy server station.

I have two different FTP client stations, one a big networked
printer/scanner that I want to do PDF uploads with, straight to the
directory listed above.  And it works.  Except I can't READ that
directory from anything else, except searches with supervisory access.
 I can't navigate to

/home/username/Desktop/junk/somemorejunk

in either Nautilus or Thunar, can't read the dir listing contents.  I
can't even at the console even if I do "sudo su" first.

It's freakin' INSANE!!!

Please...help...what am I doing wrong here!?

Jim