[Tfug] Cabling saga continues :<

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 2 11:36:34 MST 2009

Hi,

Well, as it has finally started to cool down a bit, I
started this year's PM on the furnace.  And, in the
process, realized just how *hot* the "closet" that it
is located in becomes when it is running.

<frown>

This is not good for the network equipment I've
located therein.

Crap!

So, I set out in look of a new home for this stuff.
The biggest challenge being terminating the various
CAT5 feeds someplace where they are accessible yet
not "in the way".

So far, my best solution is *underneath* the lower
shelf in one of the "pantries".  Power is accessible,
the equipment is out of the way, out of *sight*, etc.
And, that area is not really suitable for anything
(since anything else located there would essentially
be sitting on the *floor*!)

Today was probably the wrong day to have done this
evaluation as I spent a few hours yesterday hauling
paving stones.  As such, bending down to access that
space (i.e., essentially "on the floor") provides a
painful reminder of just how many *sore* muscles one
can have in their lower back!  <frown>

While the sore/tiff back will be better in a day or
so, this still doesn't seem like a realistic long-term
plan.

But, there aren't many other options in this floor plan.
Garage is out of the question as it is *always* too hot
(furnace closet would be cooler, by comparison).

I realize most (all?) network cable terminations probably
happen in racks or on nice spacious walls where you can
comfortably access them for service (my original goal
in the furnace closet).  But, have folks seen any *less*
obvious installations from which I could get inspiration?

E.g., I was thinking if there was a way I could install
this stuff in a drawer or some other movable mechanism that
would let me drag things out to a more accessible location
when I needed to service them.  Granted, a drawer would still
leave me at "floor level" but I could at least sit on a stool
and bend over its contents instead of having to kneel on
the floor and reach *under* a shelf!

I had also thought of putting the patch panel in a shallow
enclosure and mounting the top rear of that enclosure to
the front underside of the shelf in such a way that it is
held "up" (clinging to the underside of the shelf) in normal
use and swings down (i.e., normal to the shelf) for service.
Essentially:

================SHELF
+------+
+------+

becoming:

++
++

Yeah, its a kludge but it beats:

              ++
              ++

Boy, things would be *so* much easier if they had put BASEMENTS
in these houses!!  :<