[Tfug] power supplies & motherboards

Harry McGregor micros at osef.org
Fri Nov 27 22:40:01 MST 2009

erich wrote:
> OK,
>        Thanks. The person I had the conversation with was a non-technical
> hear-say person.
>         My first attempt to resuscitate  this box  ended in failure
> because
> it was later determined that the "new" power supply was bad. My friend
> has assured me that another "new" power supply  will be tested first
> before it enters my shop. If this 2nd attempt fails then I will end up
> with an uninstalled power supply and a motherboard that is e-waste.
>         It is difficult to test a power supply stand-alone. The new ones
> have many sensing feedback controls that work only in the
> appropriate environment.

That is not true...  You just have to short the correct pins in the ATX
connector, and it will fire up.

You can then test voltages all you want.

The pin is between the mess of black (ground) wires in the connector,
and is PS_ON or Power ON

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX#Power_supply

I used to use this trick to power a bunch of hard drives for wiping with
DBAN.

You can also get a handy dandy power supply tester rather cheap.  I
think SWS has them in town, or you can order one:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=KM-LCD-1&cpc=SCH

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16899887102&cm_re=power_supply_tester-_-99-887-102-_-Product

Also, some older motherboards (mostly with ISA slots) need a -5 volt
rail, and a lot of newer power supplies don't have the -5V rail.

                      Harry