[Tfug] power supplies & motherboards

erich erich1 at copper.net
Fri Nov 27 20:19:40 MST 2009

OK,
        I have a vintage 2004 tower that had a power supply failure.
At least I'm pretty sure it was the power supply: the smell
of burnt components came from the power supply. The
motherboard smells/shows no signs of damage.

        Then I heard a rather disturbing thing in a conversation.
Power supplies have been known to fail on some models
of computers and take out the motherboard with them.

         So I have two questions:

            1) If a power supply fails, is there a chance that
it will take out a motherboard?

            2) If a motherboard is suspected to have failed.
will it take out a power supply?

                                                                   Erich