[Tfug] Removable carrier in USB case?

Tom Rini trini at kernel.crashing.org
Mon Nov 23 18:59:10 MST 2009

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 01:17:16PM -0800, Bexley Hall wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I often have to diddle with a PATA or SCSI drive
> (e.g., to wipe it clean).  Opening up a machine
> just to cable it to the MB long enough to do
> this is a real PITA.
>
> I don't have any spare 5" accessible bays in which
> to mount a removable drive carrier.
>
> But, the idea came to me that I could gut an
> external USB CD-ROM and install the carrier and
> frame in *that*!  Then, conceivably, diddle with
> the drive on *any* USB-capable machine!

You want an external USB enclosure you can stick a random drive in, and
started hacking up a USB CD, right?  Now you're being bitten by the
hardware telling the system "I am a CD drive".  Maybe this is obvious,
but why not start with an external USB HD case?  For stuff like this,
I've actually got dongle that's just an ATA (and laptop HD sized ATA) to
USB connector.

--
Tom Rini