[Tfug] HALP! DynDNS nightmare, again...

Eric Vorrie evorrie at comcast.net
Thu Nov 19 13:38:22 MST 2009

Can you try connecting directly to the WAN port of the router and then
attempt to access the client?  I'm only asking this since maybe the ISP
would be filtering port 5900 and it will let you know if it's the router or
not.

Take DynDNS out of the equation and connect directly to the public IP and
see if that works.

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 1:16 PM, Jim March <1.jim.march at gmail.com> wrote:

> Folks...sigh, I'm approaching wit's end here.  And...it's slightly off
> topic...but...ah!
>
> I'm trying to get remote desktop working for a friend.  OK, sounds easy.
>
> 1) Set up a static IP on their net.
>
> 2) Tell their WiFi router to do port forwarding from port 5900 to
> their static IP.
>
> 3) Set up DynDNS.
>
> 4) From the client side, doesn't work.
>
> Now, at the client laptop I can connect via a Cricket cellmodem so I'm
> coming in from the "outside" and it fails.  BUT if I connect to the
> internal WiFi net and do a straight shot to their static IP on the
> internal net, it works.  So the problem is either router/firewall, or
> it's DynDNS.
>
> Router is a Dlink DIR-628.  I seem to have port forwarding going.
> I've got the router's connection page for Dynamic DNS set to go
> through DLink's DynDNS page, with DynDNS username/password all set,
> and the router says "connected".
>
> Any thoughts on what to check next?  Because I'm approaching "stumped"
> here...
>
> Maybe I should do DynDNS at the client PC instead of the router?!?
>
> Jim

OpenPGP key (0xAE7B0768)