[Tfug] HALP! DynDNS nightmare, again...

Zack Williams zdwzdw at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 13:30:05 MST 2009

> 1) Set up a static IP on their net.
>
> 2) Tell their WiFi router to do port forwarding from port 5900 to
> their static IP.
>
> 3) Set up DynDNS.
>
> 4) From the client side, doesn't work.
>
> Now, at the client laptop I can connect via a Cricket cellmodem so I'm
> coming in from the "outside" and it fails.  BUT if I connect to the
> internal WiFi net and do a straight shot to their static IP on the
> internal net, it works.  So the problem is either router/firewall, or
> it's DynDNS.
>
> Router is a Dlink DIR-628.  I seem to have port forwarding going.
> I've got the router's connection page for Dynamic DNS set to go
> through DLink's DynDNS page, with DynDNS username/password all set,
> and the router says "connected".
>
> Any thoughts on what to check next?  Because I'm approaching "stumped" here...

Use nslookup or dig to do a forward lookup on their dyndns assigned
address.  Should return their current external IP address.

Try connecting over your external connection to their current external
IP address.   You should get in if the router is working properly.

> Maybe I should do DynDNS at the client PC instead of the router?!?

I've generally found that to be more reliable.

- Zack