[Tfug] OT: easily reloaded windows machine

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 8 22:11:48 MST 2009

> > I can't believe that this *hasn't* been done already...
>
> Commercial software to do this:
>     Deep Freeze (software) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
>     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_Freeze_(software)

Hmmm... that is interesting!  I'll have to look into how
they do what they are doing.

> Free Microsoft Steady State to do this:
>     Windows SteadyState
>     http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/sharedaccess/default.mspx
>
> Disadvantage of these is you have to update all the software after
> every rebuild.  Given that M$ has "Patch Tuesday" every
> month, your "Steady State" lifetime isn't very long ;-)

Seems that this is XP/Vista.  I was hoping for a more generic
solution.

E.g., I was thinking:
- boot a *NIX kernel
- run fdisk and <whatever>format on the disk
- copy "diskimage" to raw device

Building the image would be similar:  copy raw device to
a "file" that can be burned onto the CD...