[Tfug] OT: easily reloaded windows machine

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 8 18:59:41 MST 2009

Hi,

My sister lives many miles from here.  She has been
pestering me with problems re: her kids' windows
machine.  Of course, troubleshooting this crap
long distance is a royal PITA.  Especially as
she is running Vista (and I have NO interest in
learning anything about Vista!).

Since the kids primarily use this for internet
access and not for anything "important" (within
reason), I figured it would be a good candidate
for a disposable machine.

To that end, is there some *canned* way that I can
set up a system for her, take a snapshot of the
disk, burn that onto a CD/DVD in such a way that
she could later just boot from that CD and have it
rebuild the "correct" disk image (discarding the
disk's current contents in the process)?

I.e., any time she has a problem with the machine,
just reboot from this disk (instead of having to
reinstall windows, reinstall the various apps that
support it, etc.)

I can't believe that this *hasn't* been done already...

Thanks!
--don