[Tfug] Should ZFS have an fsck tool? I thought this was interesting

Zack Williams zdwzdw at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 17:50:05 MST 2009

> Just assuming that "We checksum everything and we're really smart and wrote
> a really awesome filesystem with Zettabyte in the name" isn't good enough
> IMO... you need an good filesystem checker

The weird thing is they wrote a whole lot of tests, and do some pretty
brutal things to the zpool while it's in use to verify that changes to
the code are solid:

http://blogs.sun.com/bill/entry/zfs_and_the_all_singing

http://hub.opensolaris.org/bin/view/Community+Group+zfs/zfstestsuite

But obviously none of these provide coverage like a fsck tool would.

- Zack