[Tfug] Solution---Crappy USB LVM/Software RAID10 performance?

Bowie J. Poag bpoag at comcast.net
Sat May 30 12:56:39 MST 2009

Found the problem.

The motherboard on my Linux box is an old MSI motherboard from 2004, and
uses a stock USB 2.0 (read: NOT a "High Speed USB 2.0") chipset from
ATI. The box is running an admittedly ancient version of Linux, Fedora
Core 6 x64.

The kernel module responsible for handling that chipset doesn't
distinguish between "USB 2.0" and "High Speed USB 2.0".. It only
distinguishes between USB 1.1 and USB 2.0. It will just see the hardware
as USB 2.0 and report it bogusly as "High Speed USB 2.0" at load time.*
Damned dirty lies! There's a bug filed against it and everything.

So anyhoo, I disconnected one of the drives (was nice to see the RAID 10
continued to work at this point, incidentally), took it over in the
other room benchmarked on my Hackintosh laptop, and it hauled ass....
39.5MB/sec versus 19.5MB/sec.  It's a USB issue. Problem solved.

Cheers,
Bowie

(* = I got to use the word "bogusly" today.)