[Tfug] Cabling between buildings

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Wed May 27 23:58:21 MST 2009

--- On Mon, 5/25/09, Harry McGregor <micros at osef.org> wrote:

[snip]

> Distances up to 1 mile are quite doable with DSL/LineDriver
> based equipment:
>
> (not the cheapest source to be sure)
>
> http://www.blackbox.com/Store/Detail.aspx/Ethernet-Extender-Data-Voice/ME0010A-VDSL-R2

Ah!  This is worth pursuing!

> > Optical fibre comes to mind as a solution (especially
> > to tolerate any large common mode voltages that you
> > could encounter in such an installation -- think:
> > lightning).
>
> Fiber is the best option here for something non-wireless.
>
> 100Mbit and even Gigabit Fiber Ethernet equipment is WAY
> down in price on the secondary market.
>
> If installing fiber, use  conduit, below the frost
> level if possible,
> and put a cheap concrete mix about 1ft above the conduit
> (like 3:1 sand
> to concrete), enough that someone digging will hit it and
> question what they are doing.

Yeah, just like burying a regular electric service.

> >   But, are there any better
> options?  He's
> > not keen on spending a lot of money to do so (e.g.,
> he
> > could always purchase multiple cell phones with "data
> > service" and route packets through TPC to get from
> location
> > A to location B  :-/ )
>
> If he is willing to do that, then WiFi with OpenVPN would
> be sufficient security wise.

I was being facetious.  :>

> Why is it that people (and government orgs) are so afraid
> of WiFi yet they are perfectly willing to let the packets run
> on the wide open internet...

Why do people willingly let a store track their purchases
(web searches, etc.) "to better SERVE them"?  :-/

<shrug>  People have their own preconceived notions.  You
can try to educate but, in the end, they have to be happy with
their solution.  Trick is coming up with the best solution
that fits their needs.

I rarely have my wireless router "on".  But, then again, I
have something like 27 CAT5 drops in the house so I'm almost
always only a few feet from a drop regardless of where I
happen to decide to work (including on the roof!  :> ).
I just don't get any "added value" from wireless to make use
of it more.

--don